Friday, May 1, 2009

My interest in global health and policy

To Whom it May Concern, I have just finished my third year at the University of Pennsylvania majoring in Health and Societies with a concentration of Public Health. In addition I am also a dual-degree candidate for a Bachelor of Science in Nursing at the School of Nursing at my university. My goal is to be a renowned nursing educator in the future, teaching the next generation of nurses to help and inspire others in the world.

My interest in Global and Public Health policy has lead me to take many classes on this subject and outside of my classes, I also participate in various public health venues on our campus. For example, I have helped to organize the National Public Health Week with the Civic House and the Center for Public Health Initiative that took place this past week on our campus. I also helped to organize Mental Health Awareness Week as part of Penn Active Minds executive board the previous week and brought in speakers like Dr. Bray the President of the American Psychology Association. I have also been to various lectures given by well known figures in the health sector such as Paul Farmer, Ichiro Kawachi, the current President of American Medical Association Nancy Nielsen, the former American Public Health Association Dr. Walter Tsou, and many others. These lectures have really inspired me personally and I really want to bring that to this internship, to capture the wisdom and experiences of these leaders in health policy and inspire others. (For details of the National Public Health Week, check out: http://www.cphi.upenn.edu/NPHW.shtml)

I realize that I am so very fortunate to be attending such a great university and definitely want others to be inspired also. In addition, this summer I will also be at Washington D.C. which will put me in a position to gain access to even more inspirational people working on the policies that I have been learning about in my classes. Also due to my community service involvement, I have the honor of working with Ashoka board member Kyle Zimmer with First Book this summer and I am fully intending to learn more about how to create social change and make the world a better place. I have already shown this with my actions by volunteering around at least 10 hours a week tutoring students from low income families in West Philadelphia in a variety of subjects and working to get the resources needed for tutoring groups by working with First Book. I have also advocated for the rights of children globally by leading the student UNICEF chapter at my university. My deep passion for public health policy have also lead me to participate in Wharton Politic and Business Association's annual policy cup on health policy for this year's topic and was one of the finalist. (For my proposal, please check out: http://www.whartonpolitics.com/?page_id=97)

My dedication to Global and Public Health have also lead me to help with various nonprofit organizations, one of those that stands out is PowerUpGambia, (http://www.powerupgambia.org/home) where we work to transform health care through raising funds for solar energy panels. As an average college student, I have various social network accounts with Facebook, Myspace, Youtube, LiveJournal, Blogger and have worked with various other social networks through my work with non profit organizations (i.e.Group Members Only and Ammado). (I have over 100 videos on youtube, and for an example that's health related please see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YywyNl3gIE)

I can also assure you that due to my extensive experiences working with and leading various diverse executive boards I have the capabilities to carry out tasks on time and successfully. In addition, I have also worked with various non-profit organizations before as I have worked as a partnerships coordinator for Givology and also a volunteer with Perspectives debate. I have also learned a variety of advocacy, communications and leadership skills attending various conferences and workshops such as the Young Advocate Leadership Training held by Children's Defense Fund, Student Service Leaders Conference at Drexel University, and Global Development Initiative Annual Forum at Penn.

In the upcoming semesters, I am also planning on attending the International Honors Program's Health and Community track that would help me to expand my horizons by studying problems related to health in different areas of the world like India, South Africa and China and also visiting the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland. (http://www.ihp.edu/programs/hc/) I feel that I am a qualified for this position due to all the skills that I have gained through my experiences here at my college. If you need any additional information, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Linda Xiao Kang

No comments:

Post a Comment