Friday, July 17, 2009

On the Seventh Friday of First Book Fun...

So this post was actually posted by First Book's blog yesterday and I'm just re-posting it here for my Friday entry :)

I am one of three co-chairs who head up the campus advisory board (CAB) at the University of Pennsylvania. Let me tell you that being at the helms of a campus advisory board is not an easy thing to do and the best comparison I can come up with is that it is like being a taxi driver. Henceforth I shall refer to myself as a CAB driver and boy am I glad that I'm not the only driver. Sometimes there are so many obstacles in our path like getting tutoring groups on our campus to board our CAB and become a recipient group. Other times like when midterms rolled around our CAB stopped rolling for awhile and it took a few pushes to get it moving again. Going through the potholes and detours, we are so glad to have an awesome CAB mechanic, Nicole Thompson, Campus Advisory Board Manager at First Book's headquarters who can always help us with tune ups and get us on the road again. Despite the obstacles, it is a great path to be on. During the past year, we have had so much great experiences learning to drive the CAB in our community and have made so many great connections to various organizations on campus and helped to add to many organizations brand new books to their events and even held events of our own! At the heart of West Philadelphia, we know there are many kids in need and hope to improve our CAB towards delivering more books these kids.
It may not always be a smooth ride, but I, along with my fellow CAB drivers will go down the First Book path wherever it lead us to make possible the delivery of books for kids in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment