Monday, June 8, 2009

First weekend in DC :)

Where I took the opportunity to visit a ton of musems, but not the famous Smithosonian ones. I actually went to the

26th Annual
Dupont-Kalorama Museum Walk Weekend


http://dkmuseums.com

I went and rode on the metro and did this for both Saturday and Sunday.

My favorite would definitely have to be the Anderson House, which was built in early 1900s and winter home of Larz Anderson III (1866-1937), an American diplomat, and his wife, Isabel (1876-1948). The house had some very unique combinations of both western and eastern influences as Larz was a diplomat to Japan and actually brought back articles from Japan that were put in the house.

Photobucket
I really wish I read some books on photography when I took these pictures.

Photobucket
I adored the princesses in this painting, which was based on a real coronation event of a russian princess I believe.

Photobucket
You can somewhat see the eastern influences in the Anderson house in this picture of the katana and the Japanese panels.

anderson house
I went back to the Anderson house and admired the beautiful interior of the house some more.

I also really enjoyed the Phillips collection which had artworks from world famous painters like Degas and Renoir.
kalorama museum
This is actually from Jacob Lawrence's migration series about the migration of African Americans from the south to the north from 1916 to 1919.

Photobucket
This was a painting from the group THEY at the Meridian International Center and part of the Metropolis Now exhibitions. They paint pictures of people in various rooms and I haven't figured out the message of this painting yet.

Photobucket
I sort of ran into a political protest near the statue of Ghandi when I was walking over to the Anderson house on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment